Hello everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July with friends and family. My weekend in the mountains was great. A little too great in the area of eating and lounging if you know what I mean. Our family doesn’t play around when it comes to feeding time. We barely have one meal cleared before we start working on the next one! I imagine that like me, many of you are trying to get back on the horse today a undo some of the weekend damage. What we need is a good dose of motivation!
I’ve been thinking the last few days about what really motivates me to eat well and stay fit, and I thought this would be a perfect topic for my budding little blog community. Here are a few tricks that I try to incorporate on a daily basis to motivate myself to make healthy choices.
- Since I work full-time, most days I have to workout in the evenings. This is always so difficult for me because I’m drained from a long day and just so ready to go home, eat dinner and relax with some reality television. One thing that motivates me to get my tush to the gym is to pack a gym bag every day and go ahead and change into my workout clothes BEFORE I leave the office. I drive right by my house on the way to the gym, so if I stopped to change clothes there, I would never leave again!
- I love to read, and I’ve found that listening to audio books while I workout can make the time fly by. I like to download books from itunes onto my iPod and only allow myself to listen when I’m doing something active, usually doing the elliptical or taking a power walk around the neighborhood. It motivates me to workout more often and for longer periods of time when I’m enthralled in a good book. Right now I’m listening to my July book club selection, My Name is Memory…not bad!
- Making a really upbeat playlist also makes me look forward to my workout, and it helps me put a little more pep in my step. Save the slow songs for your cool down!
- I love it when I can workout with a buddy. I’m always taking a walk with one of my sisters, and on Wednesday nights we all head to zumba class. Taking an after-dinner walk with my husband is one of my favorite things. Good conversation always makes a workout fly by for me.
- Replacing a meal with a protein shake is also a great way for me to get back on track. I know that may not sound like that great of an option, but that’s just because you have not tried my delicious protein concoction! It’s kind of a big deal. I like to use OptiCleanse GHI in the Chai flavor, which is available in our pharmacy. I add berries, some flax meal, a teaspoon of coconut oil, some water and a bit of ice, and it is DELICIOUS. I find that starting the day with a protein shake motivates me to make better meal choices all day long.
- Another one of my tricks is picking a goal outfit that I want to fit in to. Everybody has a pair of skinny jeans or a snug dress they want to get back in to. For me it’s better to have a goal like this rather than always looking for results on the scale.
Ok, that’s all I can think of for now, but I would LOVE to hear from the readers. What motivates you to eat right and exercise? Leave me a comment so that everyone can benefit from your tricks!
Here’s to being back on the wagon!