There are three things I like about today’s recipe: It’s a great comfort food for this time of year, it’s gluten-free, and it’s super easy and nutritious (Why else would I make it?) I found it on the Whole Foods Website and made a few minor adjustments. The WF blog is one of my go-to places for healthy recipes, so check it out if you’re in need of a little holiday inspiration.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 cup long-grain brown rice
2 cups vegetable broth
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped herbs (I used fresh cilantro and thyme and dried parsley)
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- In a medium pot, sauté mushrooms and both types of onions in a little oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in rice, broth, salt & pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until liquid is completely absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Remove covered pot from heat and let sit 10 minutes; uncover and fluff with fork.
- Transfer to large bowl, add apricots, walnuts, herbs and vinegar.
- Toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!
Brown rice is packed full of nutrition, but if it’s not your thing, you could always swap it out for cous-cous, quinoa or bulgur. You can serve it with a nice green salad for a simple vegetarian meal, or it would go great beside my Walnicot Chicken Delight!
I hope you give this simple, healthy dish a try this holiday season!