Hi Everyone! Even though it’s hard to believe it now that we’re finally getting some winter temperatures, spring is right around the corner, and that means allergy and sinus season will be at its peak in just a few weeks. During the spring months, the Longevity pharmacy gets countless calls from people struggling with headaches, runny noses, congestion and other sinus/allergy symptoms. (Here are a few ideas for Spring cleaning your diet this year, and here are some nutritional/supplemental ideas for combating your allergies before they start!)
Speaking of allergy season, I came across this soup, full of sinus-cleansing ingredients, and just had to give it a try. It was the perfect comforting dish for a chilly winter weekend. (This recipe is gluten and dairy free, for all of you with these common food sensitivities.)
Roasted Green Chile Chicken Soup
2 tsp organic coconut oil
1 tsp organic extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 full chicken breasts (6 individual), cut into bite-sized pieces
2 roasted poblano peppers, skinned, seeded and diced
1 roasted anaheim pepper, skinned, seeded and diced
4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds, or 1/2 tsp cumin
8 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
- To roast peppers, place in a casserole dish, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a sealed ziplock bag to steam for 15 minutes. The skins should peel right off after this process so you can easily remove the seeds and dice the chilies.
- In a large pot heated to medium high, add the oils and sauté the onions until soft. Add the garlic. Remove this mixture and set aside.
- Sauté the chicken in the same pot until the pieces are firm and cooked through.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high for at least 20 minutes.
- Simmer until ready to serve. Adjust and add seasonings to taste. Serve and enjoy!
This is definitely a recipe I’ll be making again. Stay warm and enjoy!