As I strive to balance a home, marriage and part-time job, as well as care for a 4-month old baby who is usually a little fussy around supper time, I’m always on the prowl for quick and easy nutritious dinner ideas. Whenever I get in a dinner rut, I go prowling on Pinterest, natural health and cooking magazines and around the blogosphere to find something new, and this dish was my latest find. I chose it because I always keep the ingredients on hand, and it’s gluten-free. Plus, I’m always looking for a new spin on hum-drum grilled chicken (Check out these other chicken recipes: Chicken Marbella, Chicken Walnicot Delight, Cilantro Lime Chicken).
Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice
Ingredients (Serves 4):
1 cup brown rice
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 cup white onion, diced
1 large bunch (8 oz) of greens (I used spinach, but you could also use chopped kale or mustard greens)
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper
fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Prepare the brown rice according to the instructions on the packaging and set aside.
- Saute chicken in a large nonstick skillet for about 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Saute the onion, greens and red pepper until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. Add the brown rice and cook until warmed, or another 2 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the honey, mustard, vinegar, oil, garlic and 2 tablespoons of water. Season with salt and pepper to taste and whisk together.
- Put the chicken back in the skillet and pour the honey mustard mixture over it. Save a little of the mixture to go on your rice. Saute for about 3 minutes, turning the chicken often to coat it with the sauce.
- Serve the rice pilaf on a plate, then top with chicken. Drizzle with remaining honey mustard, and sprinkle with parsley. Enjoy!
My husband and I both really enjoyed this dish. It’s definitely one I will be adding to my quick and healthy dinner repertoire!